Monday, October 19, 2009

The Safari

I've taken the approach to my job search as more of a Job Hunt. Actually, something more like a Safari. Afterall, it's been through a lot of ups an downs, bad trails, dead end roads, as well as steep mountans to climb. My favorite part about my Job Safari is all the preparation that needs to go into it before you get going.

You can't buy things along the way you may need like bandaids to cure the blisters on the backs of your feet from wearing heels to an interview, or a brush to brush your hair because the walk from the back bay to the interview sent you into the windy street, and now you look something more like the character Edward Scissorhands.

No, I need to be prepared.
I have no map.
I have no compass.
I have no guide
Sometimes, no gas. (We'll talk about that one at a later time, when I get over it.)

I begin my search on my "preparation" for my Job Safari, and realize the cost of preparedness. Not the time, nor effort, but the amount of money people want from me to give me the "tools" to find my way. Is a Head Hunter a good person to have along my journey, or not? I decide to go it alone.

First, I determine what each day of my "hunt" will look like, how much time will be dedicated to hunting? Is there a better location than most to hunt? When I find a site to hunt, how do I know it's the right place as opposed to another site? I spend nearly half my Monday contemplating the right way to find a site.

Uncovering which site to focus, I begin to lose perspective on what my inevitable prize is supposed to be. Infused with literature on "how to hunt in the right frame of mind", or "You're hunting the wrong way, do it our way", is slowly dragging me down the wrong path. The path of carrying too much of a load. But, should they be the necessary tools to keep me on the Safari and on the right trail?

Money. It all costs money to go on this Hunt, this Safari that I'm planning to embark upon. I haven't even begun, and I've spent $168.68 on tools. Couldn't I just barter some of my bandaids, or hair brush?

Is this truly a hunt, or a Safari? What is the difference between the two? As described by Dictionary.com a Safari can be any long and adventurous journey. While a Hunt can be a pursuit. It comes down to my approach in all this. Do I want a long and adventurous journey? Or am I simply a "pursuer"?

I choose the journey. Although, I'll need to barter along the way, as I have very few dollars left to spend along my journey, I have plenty of tools to get me there...or do I?

2 comments:

  1. Wow you sound like a real woman on a journey. Keep your positive outlook, and follow your passions, things will work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found you. You can read about my safari at decisionsonmargaritas.blogspot.com
    Associate Girl

    ReplyDelete